Leechburg is a stop along what is known as the Pittsburgh to Harrisburg Main Line Canal Greenway. The founder of Leechburg, David Leechburg came to the town before it was named in order to help build a dam for the canal. After arriving to the little town of Friendship in 1827, his great influence over the years eventually had the town named for him, as Leechburg.
There is a plaque for the canal at the Leechburg Borough building. There is an official state plaque by The Walking Bridge